Applications for Fall 2014 admission will be accepted between September 15, 2013 and January 1, 2014. New graduate students are enrolled in the program during Fall quarter only.
The MCP program is a multi-departmental gateway program leading to a PhD degree from the Department of Chemistry, Biological Sciences (MB&B), Pharmacology, or Pharmaceutical Sciences. When completing the “Degree Program” section of the online application for admission, please make the following selections:
- School/Department: College of Health Sciences
- Major/Degree: Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology PhD
- Specific Area of Interest: Indicate which one of the following three departments you would be most interested in as your eventual home department: Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Pharmacology, or Molecular Biology & Biochemistry. The choice you indicate here is not binding, and can be changed at any time until you select a research advisor during the first year.
- Diversity Fellowships: The University of California is committed to the recruitment, admission, and retention of a high quality and diverse graduate student population. If you have overcome socioeconomic or educational challenges, please indicate that you are a diversity candidate on your application.
Average GPA and GRE scores for students admitted Fall 2012:
GRE Subject Exam
Complete the Online Application which is submitted to the Graduate Division.
- Official GRE Scores (UCI Institutional Code is 4859, Departmental Code is 0613).
- All students should submit a GRE Subject Test related to their area of interest, however the subject exam is NOT required for application.
Note: GRE scores that are five years old or older by the first day of school will not be accepted.
Transcripts and Letters of Reccomendation
- Three Letters of Recommendation submitted electronically
- One official copy of all postsecondary academic transcripts (sent to the MCP program coordinator at the address below)
Transcripts should be sent to the following address:
Graduate Admissions Coordinator
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE
Gateway Program in Medicinal Chemistry & Pharmacology
147 Bison Modular, Building 515
Irvine, CA 92697-3958
- TOEFL Scores for International Students (UCI Institutional Code is 4859, Departmental Code is 47) Note: TOEFL and IELTS test results that are two years old or older by the first day of school will not be accepted. If your undergraduate degree was obtained in a country where English was the primary language, the TOEFL exam is not required. For more information regarding admissions requirements for international students, visit the Academic Qualifications webpage.
- Teaching Assistant (TA) Eligibility International applicants who are eligible to serve as a teaching assistant (TA) will be considered more favorably in the admission review process. The following test scores will qualify students to be a teaching assistant at the University:
- A score of 26 or higher on the speaking component of the TOEFL ibt
- A score of 8 or higher on the speaking module of the IELTS, or
- A score of 50 or higher on the TSE.
For more information about the English language requirements for TA’s, please visit the English Language Proficiency Requirements for TAs webpage.
For additional information about graduate study at UC Irvine, please visit the UCI Graduate Division website.
For further information about the MCP program:
Pharmaceutical Sciences Grad Student Coordinator